In the mid-sixties, famed producer Dino De Laurentiis brought together the talents of five famed Italian directors for an anthology film. Their brief was simple: to direct an episode in which Silvana Mangano (Bitter Rice, Ludwig) plays a witch.
Luchino Visconti (Ossessione, Death in Venice) and screenwriter Cesare Zavattini (Bicycle Thieves) open the film with The Witch Burned Alive, about a famous actress and a drunken evening that leads to unpleasant revelations. Civic Sense is a lightly comic interlude from Mauro Bolognini (The Lady of the Camelias) with a dark conclusion, and The Earth as Seen from the Moon sees Italian comedy legend Totò team up with Pier Paolo Pasolini (Theorem) for the first time for a tale of matrimony and a red-headed father and son. Franco Rosso (The Woman in the Painting) concocts a story of revenge in The Sicilian’s Wife, while Vittorio De Sica (Shoeshine) casts Clint Eastwood as Mangano’s estranged husband in An Evening Like the Others, concluding The Witches with a stunning homage to Italian comic books.
|Director||Pier Paolo Pasolini|
|Director||Vittorio de Sica|
• Brand new 2K restoration from original film elements produced by Arrow Films exclusively for this release
• Standard Definition presentation
• Original Italian mono audio
• Brand-new audio commentary by film critic and novelist Tim Lucas
• Interview with actor Ninetto Davoli, recorded exclusively for this release
• English-language version of Vittorio De Sica’s episode, An Evening Like the Others, starring Clint Eastwood
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys
This Members tab displays additional content for members, such as exclusive clips, stills and PDF sections of booklets included in several first pressings.
To become a member, and claim 100 free Reward Points, simply visit the REGISTRATION PAGE and enter your details.